14 May 2012

The Day About Mothers

I feel like, to be a good little blogger, I have to report on Mother's Day.

Saturday morning: Was offered a really wilty flower at the grocery store.

"We're giving these out for Mother's Day," the cashier said, holding it out to me. A petal fell off the drooping head and fluttered to the ground. "Would you like one?"

"No, thank you," I said, though in my head I thought, I guess it's marginally better than throwing out all the old flowers, but . . . wow.

Saturday evening: Shared the above experience with my coworkers, everyone got a laugh out of it.

Sunday morning: Sacrament Meeting was (of course) devoted to talks about Mother's Day. As a plus, both speakers were women.

One was the expected dreadful 1970s-era talk about mothers as the 'guardians of the hearth' and basically drawn from about six Ezra Taft Benson conference addresses. Ug.

But the other--was fantastic.

It was about nurturing. About how women and men, young and old, can nurture those around them. About how the people you nurture most might be practically strangers. And when she gave examples, one was about her son's high school swim coach. And one was about a little boy she once had in her cub scout troop.

It wasn't a talk about mothers, or mothering, and it didn't quote the Family Proclamation once. (Which was fabulous, because there's been a lot of Proclamation quoting lately, and the more I hear it the more I feel uncomfortable with most of the wording. It's not good.) But it encapsulated the whole spirit of Mother's Day, the reasons why we have a day to talk about those who bring and foster and support life.

Sunday afternoon: The Elder's Quorum gave out flowers to all the women in the ward after Sacrament Meeting. I tried to avoid getting a flower. I feel weird accepting things on Mother's Day, because--surprise--I am not a mother. It feels kind of like a sad little consolation prize. 'We know you don't have kids, but we'll give you a flower anyway.' I don't like it.

But the Elder's Quorum president was thoughtful and traveled all the way over to the choir seating before practice just to make sure he hadn't missed anybody. So I have my consolation flower. Yay.

Personally, I'd much rather have a few children than have a flower. But they don't really give those away at church.


Love always,
Ashley

P.S. - I didn't call my mother on Mother's Day. I didn't want to clog up the very little empty time in the day before she would need to go to work. And I had been on the phone with her until 1:30 in the morning the night before, so I figured it would be okay.

Is it okay, Mom? If it's not I promise to call you twice next year. ;)


1 comment:

Linda said...

We did talk until it was technically Mother's Day...so that counts! Plus you sent me that letter which is worth 2 years of Mother's Day calls. :)

Post a Comment