29 February 2012

Can You Really Save Up Time? Really?

Leap Day. It's magical. That one special day every four years that makes the continued use of our calender system possible. Thank you, Leap Day, for all the kindness you do us in keeping our months and seasons all lined up the way we're used to. Disaster is averted, for the time being.

If you really think about it, Leap Day is funny. Time and the way we measure it is artificially constructed anyway, and Leap Day is a poignant reminder of that fact. Because, hey, apparently we need an extra day every four years, or the world as we know it will fall apart. No big deal. Whatever.

The professor in my early class is a very funny, very awesome woman. She freakin' rocks. She's tied for the position of favorite-professor-of-the-semester with my Hebrew professor. Anyway, she informed us all at 8 AM this morning that Leap Day is her favorite holiday. Apparently today after she's finished teaching she's going to go home and make Leap Day cupcakes and put together a Leap Day mix-tape for her friends (which begs the question, what does one include on a Leap Day mix-tape?).

I want to make Leap Day cupcakes. But I can't. Because I still don't have a muffin pan. :(
Cupcakes are way better than real cake. They come in a cup. How cool is that? And muffins. I like muffins a lot. Why haven't I seen how pressing this issue is before now? I need a muffin pan, and that's final. I will have to do something about this soon, I guess.

I just found out that there's an Irish tradition that says that women can propose to their men on Leap Day. I hold that women can (and should) propose on any day of the year, but I guess that's cool. The Irish have many cool traditions, and I wish I could claim some of them. But, alas, I am not Irish. Actually, I don't really want to be Irish. I'm happy with my Scottish heritage. We have bagpipes and William Wallace. We win.

Stay on topic, Schaffer.

I have no more to say about Leap Day.

But in the spirit of it being Wednesday . . . have a song. A free song. Lucky you.

Jem - '24'

 

Love always,
Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment