25 January 2012

Music Wednesday +

A few interesting tidbits.

1--
Today is a funky day. And it's not just because I still have tendrils of pain and confusion left over from the migraine that sprung up on me last night, and it's not just because my mother was right about the soreness coming back from my fall on the ice (If I was into baring mass amounts of skin, I could show you my bruises. But I'm not, so I won't. But they're pretty cool.). No, today feels funky because my ritual was interrupted.

Every morning I pick up a copy of the New York Times and start to read it before class. This involves being very careful not to touch my face with ink-smudged fingers and silently (more or less) cussing out whoever it is that puts my paper together out of order. But today... A section, B section, C section, D section... they were all in order. I didn't know what to do with myself, or with the residual anger I store up to take out on that poor anonymous newspaper-constructor every morning.

2--
You remember King Josiah from the Old Testament, right? Ruled in righteousness, restored the Law of Moses, yada yada yada.

The interesting part?

Josiah was eight when he became king. He ruled for thirty-one years. That makes him age thirty-nine at his death. His son, who ruled after him, was twenty-three when he inherited the throne. That means... (drum-roll, please) ... ... that Josiah begat (to use the properly biblical expression) his heir when he was sixteen years old. Remember how I've said I read Shakespeare for the naughty parts? I kind of secretly read the Bible for the same reason. But apparently teen pregnancy is okay as long as you're ruling a nation. I'll have to keep that in mind.


Music!

Confession #1: I have a slight obsession with Weird Al, which is only exacerbated by the knowledge that he's been performing continuously since way before my dad was my age and so it's like some bizarre cross-generational bonding thing in my head.

So, if there are any Weird Al haters out there, I'm sorry for the content of this post. And I'm also concerned about the condition of your soul, but that's another matter.


"Weird Al" Yankovic - 'Smells Like Nirvana'



"Weird Al" Yankovic - 'Amish Paradise'

(I'm sorry, but the lyrics to this song are genius. This is one of my favorite songs, like, ever... and I don't know what that says about my taste...)

"Weird Al" Yankovic - 'Alternative Polka'


*****

Confession #2: For some mysterious reason, I know every word to Madonna's 'Like a Prayer'. It's weird, because that's not a song I listen to very often. But it came on the radio this morning, and I got every single word right as I sang along. And I don't even know why I'm talking about this, because Madonna is not part of today's Music Wednesday festivities.

Dishwalla - 'Counting Blue Cars'



The Offspring - 'Self Esteem'



Dashboard Confessional - 'Belle of the Boulevard'



The Black Crowes - 'She Talks to Angels'


*****


Love always,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment