14 December 2011

Music Wednesday and a Funny Story

Funny story first. Yay!

On Monday afternoon, I was at the store. Once I was thoroughly tired of being at the store, I went to the check-out lane to make my purchases--four skeins of yarn, and a bottle of prenatal vitamins.

I chose the bottle of prenatal vitamins after spending a good half-hour in the vitamin aisle comparing all the different types of vitamins and the levels of everything they contained. For my price range, the prenatal ones had the most ideal levels of the things I was looking for. Besides, the pharmacy people were starting to give me funny looks, and I thought it would be best to leave before they came and asked me what I wanted.

Anyway, so I set it all down on the conveyor belt thingy, and waited patiently for my turn to hand over my precious money to corporate america.

The checker was a lady who was probably about fifty-five or so. She scanned all my yarn, scanned the vitamins, and then looked me up and down, paying particular attention to my conspicuously wedding ring-less left hand, and made a *tsk, tsk* noise. She put the vitamins in the bag, sighing, then looked at me and shook her head. "Congratulations," she said, sounding as though she would much rather be saying the opposite.

Maybe I should have said, "Oh, I'm not pregnant. I'm just buying those for the iron and B12 content." But being judged makes me snarky.

I smiled. "Thank you," I said, as genuinely as I could. "We couldn't be happier. We're hoping for a boy." And then I took my bag and walked out of the store, with my head held high.

Yeah, that's not incredibly snarky. I know. But it was the best I could come up with on the fly. I felt like saying "Just a minute" and going back and picking up a pregnancy test and condoms, to buy with my vitamins and yarn, but I didn't. Because, really, what would I do with a pregnancy test and condoms? Nothing. And condoms are expensive, and I don't have any extra money to go spending on things I won't use.

I wanted to be all, "Where do you get off, making comments about what you assume my life to be by the vitamins I buy? Even if I was unmarried and knocked up, I don't need you to get on your moral high horse and lecture me about it. And not all married women wear rings, anyway. Blah!" But I didn't say anything like that, either.

Stupid cashier. Anyway, the whole experience totally made my day. I was extremely amused for a long time.

And, the bottle of prenatal vitamins says they are for women "before, during, and after pregnancy". That's me, solidly in the before-pregnancy slot. I need folic acid and zinc too, thank you.

~

On a side note, at my local drugstore, the condoms, pregnancy tests, baby diapers, and Tylenol are all on the same aisle. That is one-stop shopping.

~

Now for music!

Ray LaMontagne - 'Hannah'





Oasis - 'Wonderwall'


I have no idea what a 'wonderwall' is, or how someone can be one, but I like this song.


Majandra Defino - 'Hell and Bliss'




Middle Class Rut - 'New Low'







Marie Digby - 'Love Hurts'


I have always loved this song, and it has a shocking lack of cover versions. This one comes close to doing it justice, but nothing tops the original.



The Cranberries - 'Zombie'


* Sigh * I cannot express to you how much fun this song is. It would be even better if I could sing along, but, alas, I cannot make my voice do that. * Sigh *



VAST - 'Turquoise'


~

I need to go home now and study for my last final.

Love always,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment