14 October 2011

Just a Note

I woke up this morning when the moon was shining through my window, and I could see Venus beneath it. It was one of those moments when the world is beautiful, and I was so very grateful to be alive.

Then I looked at the clock, and realized that I so did not want to be awake that early. But after those times when my brain goes, "I'm so happy, HAPPY, HAPPY!" there is no going back to sleep, no matter how late I was up. Oh well. Michael Jackson's 'Billy Jean' was on the radio a while later, and it made up for my chagrin about only getting four hours of sleep.

So I got up, got ready, left home before 7am--when it was still dark outside--and hoped the school library was open this early during fall break. Thankfully it was, because it's cold and I left in too much of a rush to grab a jacket.

Now that I think about it, I may have even forgotten to brush my hair after I got out of the shower (which could explain why it looks funny). Hmm. I really don't do mornings well.

You know what I've decided? There needs to be someone who forces me to listen to Rachmaninoff first thing every morning. Left to my own devices I just turn on the radio and flip obsessively through the stations for something I deem acceptable. There needs to be someone who will turn off the radio, put on Rachmaninoff, and say, "Ashley, quit complaining about wanting something you can sing along to; the Red Hot Chili Peppers are awesome and all, but at six o'clock in the morning? You need something with a little more substance." I won't do it on my own, but it would be a nice thing to have in life.


Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Alfred, Lord Tennyson, 'Ulysses'

~

Don't try to find the answer
When there ain't no question here.
Brother, let your heart be wounded;
And give no mercy to your fear.

Run to the water
And find me there--
Burnt to the core but not broken,
We'll cut through the madness
Of these streets below the moon.
These streets below the moon.

--Live, 'Run to the Water'


Love always,
Ashley

P.S. -- I painted a miniature pumpkin the color gold last night. October is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment