21 September 2011

Music Wednesday

At least, I hope it's Wednesday. I've been having trouble with my days of the week lately. They're all starting to blend together, and I just hope every morning that I have the pattern right and remember where I went the day before.

Today's Music Wednesday is devoted to under-appreciated love songs. Songs that may or may not be 'real' love songs, but that I think are.

------------------------------
REM - 'The One I Love'


From the title, this one is obviously at least concerned with love. If you listen to the lyrics, you discover that this song is actually rather bitter-sweet and cynical. Then again, it's REM. What do you expect? 

This one goes out to the one I love
This one goes out to the one I've left behind
A simple prop to occupy my time
This one goes out to the one I love


---------------
The Get Up Kids - 'Like a Man Possessed'


Nothing about this song says 'love song'. Not the lyrics, not the title. Nothin'. 

But that's the vibe I get from it. Call me crazy.

---------------
Finch - 'Ender'


I actually plan to spend an entire Music Wednesday sometime talking about this song. Because it's very interesting.

Until then, it's on this list. 

You said you like to hear the rain sometimes 
And all I can do is tell you the truth


---------------
Metallica - 'Unforgiven II'


This song is part of an epic. I'm not really sure if I'm comfortable addressing it without its family, but I'll try to get over it. Maybe later.

Most people consider 'Nothing Else Matters' Metallica's only love song. Not so, my friends.

This song is a love song because it's about connection. About finding someone who can understand where you come from and who you are. And... that's love, isn't it? A big part of it at least.

It's tortured, but it's love. Or it's trying to be.

---------------
Metallica - 'Until it Sleeps'


Yeah, I know. Two Metallica songs? Yes. Because that's how I roll.

Basically, take everything I said about 'Unforgiven II' and reapply it.

So tear me open but beware
There's things inside without a care
And the dirt still stains me
So wash me until I'm clean

It grips you so hold me
It stains you so hold me
It hates you so hold me
It holds you so hold me
Until it sleeps

---------------
Better Than Ezra - 'Porcelain'

This song is very sad. And actually, it's more of a super-duper-sad-break-up song than a love song. But it still goes on the list. Because I'm the maker of the list, and I say it should. 

Just the other day I felt I had you by a strin
Just the other day I felt we could be everything
  
---------------
VAST - 'Touched'


I can't even tell you how awesome I think this song is. VAST has some pretty great stuff, but this song takes the cake (Is that how the expression goes? If so, why is there cake involved at all with this? Huh. Maybe I'm making it up, because it sounds weird.)

Touched
You say that I am too
So much of what you say is true
I'll never find someone
Quite like you again
I'll never find someone quite like you
Like you

The razors and the dying roses plead
I don't leave you alone
The demi-gods and hungry ghosts of God
God knows I'm not at home

I'll never find someone
Quite like you again
I'll never find someone
Quite like you again

I looked into your eyes and saw
A world that does not exist
I looked into your eyes and saw
A world I wish I was in

I'll never find someone
Quite as touched as you
I'll never love someone
Quite the way
That I love you 

---------------

And because it can't go anywhere but down from there, we'll stop. With this song:


Love always,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment