30 May 2011

Calling All Girls [And All Y'all Other'ns]...

Today I am going to talk about a very disturbing trend I've been noticing lately. Very disturbing. What I'm talking about are these sheer lace shirts that are all the thing. Like so:


and so:


I've seen these things everywhere. Church. School. Around town. Everywhere. On everybody from teenagers to women my grandmother's age.

And I hate to break it to you, ladies, but these are not valid clothing. The idea of a shirt, as I see it, is to cover the skin. Right? Right. So, unless you've joined a nudist colony (and I might continue with that topic at a later date), I'd presume that to wear something that doesn't actually cover the skin is pointless.

And these so-called 'shirts' don't cover anything. There may be fabric touching you, dear, but I can see your shoulders. And straps. And, depending on what you're wearing under that thing, I can see a whole heck of a lot more than that. The word sheer means TRANSPARENT. As in SEE-THROUGH. As in NOT REALLY A LEGITIMATE SHIRT. Hello.

As far as I'm concerned, there are only three places sheer really belongs.
1) Veils (weddings, funerals, and the hat scene in 'My Fair Lady' come to mind)
2) The dress-up box
3) Lingerie
Anywhere else is just misplaced.

Now, over the top of something that covers both skin and underclothing, I have no problem with these non-shirts. I wouldn't wear one, because I think they look funny, but I don't have a problem with them. It's when they're worn as an excuse for real clothing that my concerns become raised.

As far as modesty goes, I think they're worse than not wearing anything over bare skin and straps and such, because it calls attention to the fact that you can see everything. Seeing a woman in a sleeveless shirt is one thing. Happens every day. Everybody's got shoulders. Whatever. But with these lace things, one has to do a double-take. Kind of a that-cannot-be-what-I-think-it-is. And so you end up staring at people. Which is awkward, to say the least.

Love always,
Ashley

P.S. --We're watching Harvey tonight. With James Stewart. We love(!) this movie. It's splendid.

1 comment:

Kalare said...

I love Harvey!

Post a Comment